Company: Swisscom, Bern
Technology: MS Excel, VBA.
Link: Not available
People in the project: Stefan Tröhler
Implementation period: Feb 2014 – Aug 2014
Cost: no details
Implementing an application to standardise the CISCO price lists using Microsoft Access and Microsoft Excel for the strategic purchasing department of the company Swisscom in Bern. The decisive factor for this project was the fact that CISCO sometimes changed the structures as well as the field formats of their price lists on a weekly basis. The goal was therefore to generate an application that could process these price lists automatically. This processing must also be able to take place if Cisco changed the formats or the price list structure. For this reason, a small ETL tool was developed using Access, which checks the files before importing them, standardises them automatically as far as possible and, if automatic standardisation is not possible, informs the responsible users by e-mail. After checking the case structure and the field formats, the data was imported, refined and made available to the strategic purchasing staff in various Excel files.
- Creation of a Microsoft Access application for importing / preparing of large amounts of data.
- The import can be fully parameterised (fields, data types, source and target information).
- After importing the data, it is refined and output in a Microsoft template according to specific criteria and calculation formulas.
- The entire process is fully parameterisable and automated.
- Development of the application (Access, VBA) with CSV data sources.
- Creation and extension of the data model (DeZign).
- Documentation of the data flow and the application.
- Creation of specifications for new requirements and their implementation.
- Application development incl. client/server solutions with MS Access.